Thursday, July 14

Notes from Africa: Day 5

Day 5
July 14, 2011

Another fantastic day in the Serengeti! I got up early and worked out in the gym. We then left at 7:30am for our game drive. We saw a multitude of animals again. Today's highlight included a few lions and elephants playing and gathered in long groups. We saw mother elephants nursing their young. At the end of the drive, we came across a small river where the elephants were bathing and playing together which was so much fun to watch. That was until the crocodile came along. We saw the elephants quickly exit the river, pushing the young out as quick as possible.
We then returned to the hotel for the afternoon off. We had lunch and then I played pool with the kids while Cathy relaxed in the room. I said that this was a magnificent hotel, well I am not alone in thinking that. It turns out the President of Tanzania is vacationing here! He arrived yesterday, and his wife came in this morning. We could not have lunch in our normal room, because he took it over! We saw him come into lunch with his small entourage. Cathy and I went back to the room, but the kids actually got to meet him after lunch! Sarah got a picture with him, very cool!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Alan & Cathy,
    Whew, it sounds absolutely fabulous. I'm enthralled reading your 5 days so far! So much more to see. Here i thought that Machu Picchu was the ultimate for me- so now I'l jsut have to ass Africa to my bucket list. Hope that Sarah is better by now,- here's to even more spectacular sightseeing..
    Happy Birthday Alan!!!

    ReplyDelete